Friday 24 July 2009

I'm back!!




My humble apologies for neglecting my blog. No excuses, I'm a lazy un-inspired boring blah blah blah!


I have been really busy, honestly, I may have neglected my blog, but not my growing! The other day I went to the allotment and picked 14lbs of redcurrants from ONE bush, I kid you not! It was an amazing harvest! With this bumper harvest I have made 2 gallons of home made redcurrant wine and I have frozen the rest for later use. I also harvested gooseberries and made gooseberry chutney. We are not lovers of puddings in our house, we dont really eat jam, but I, sorry we, do love our cheese! I actually have to admit to not liking gooseberries that much!! Especially when you buy three red gooseberry plants from your local cheap retailer, and they all turn out to be of the green variety!! But not being one to waste anything, I trawled through my cookery books and the internet and found a recipe for chutney. And very good it is too!

The allotment is going well... the slugs and caterpillars are having a whale of a time, despite netting, liberal use of slug pellets etc etc. I try to be organic, but boy it gets on my nerves! It wouldn't be so bad if they targeted just one plant, but NO they have to have a nibble and deposit droppings on everything! Good job I plant loads. I promise to post some photos soon. Meanwhile.......

The greenhouse is producing very well.......
Lovely juicy red peppers
I have to apologise (again) for the bizarre layout. When I uploaded my pictures, I couldnt move them to where I wanted them! So they are rather haphazardly placed! You get the general picture....... I hope....... take care Tatty

5 comments:

EmmaJilly said...

We're very jealous cos we've only had two raspberries from our raspberry bush. Lots of potatoes tho and peas. We are goin to spend the day up there today so will post some pics.
Hope your chicken ladies are doing well...ours are fluffing up fine.

oldcrow61 said...

14 lbs of currants from one bush. Now that had my jaw dropping. You must know a lot about growing stuff because your produce looks wonderful.

Goosey said...

Yippee, nice to see you back tatty! How do you manage to grow so much stuff and make it all into good stuff? I feel very lazy compared to you!

Peggy said...

Welcome back! I can see you have been busy with the amount of produce you have ready both on the plot and in the greenhouse.

Carole said...

I always thought our gooseberry bush was a green one, but this year I didn't get round to picking them and to my surprise they all turned red. Maybe you just have to leave them a bit longer until they ripen...?