Sunday 23 August 2009

Where's me eggs Rosie?


I have been a bit stumped about Rosie, our whiteleghorn. She has always been a good reliable layer.....until a few days ago! I couldn't understand why she had suddenly gone off lay. She appeared to be healthy, eating, drinking doing all the chickeney things that chickens are supposed to do, but no eggs. This morning I got up, and the girls were making a bit of a racket wanting to be let out of their pen, so I let them out, and all three girls legged it off across the garden, this is normal for them as they usually go under the weeping cherry tree to clean up the sunflower seeds that the birds have dropped, but Rosie didn't stop there, she carried on straight under the hedge! So I got down on my hands and knees and crawled into the farthest darkest most overgrown corner of the garden, and there she was....... sitting quite happily thankyou on her "nest"in amongst all the wind blown rubbish, when she got off, I found 6eggs! So looks like I will be commando crawling on a daily basis! Dont fancy it in the winter tho!

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi Tattyanne, good to see you back again!I know absolutely nothing about hens so I cannot give any advice on how to get her back with the others, you are going to have some fun finding the eggs a little like a daily easter egg hunt.

EmmaJilly said...

Well at least she hasnt stopped laying.

oldcrow61 said...

lol, that's happened to me. Mine always stop laying in the fall when they go into a moult, then start again in the spring.