Thursday 22 January 2009

New beginnings

All is still quiet on the growing front. I have dusted off the heated propagator and just for experimentation, have planted those huge great seeds that I collected last year from the Monkey puzzle tree, also some lemon grass seeds. I grew Lemon Grass last year, but unfortunately it is not hardy and so the plant that was growing very well has succumbed to the harsh weather that we have been experiencing lately. The Lemon Grass seeds have sprouted, and I thought I would keep them going indoors for a while to give them a nice long growing season. Not sure what I'll do about overwintering it again tho? It might be an annual, Does anyone know?
On a completely different subject, I recently have been thinking about changing my job. I am an auxilliary at the local hospital, a job which I enjoy very much. The current line of work is at the palliative care unit, this is where I have been based for the last 9 years, and I feel now that I need to move out of my comfort zone and expand my knowledge and skills in a new environment. So I have been perusing the hospital jobs vacancy website, and submitted some applications for different directorates. I was fortunate enough to be called for interview for a position that is at the complete opposite end of the scale. Along I went with great trepidation, the interview was running late, and I was sooo tempted to come home again, figuring that I do have a good job, I'm not getting any younger, I work with a great team, and what the hell am I doing here!! Anyway, in I went.... I felt that the I didn't sell myself very well, I was soooo nervous, I answered the questions as best I could, remembering to speak slowly, make eye contact etc etc. I came away glad that it was over, not holding out much hope of getting the position, I had none of the essential experience, although lots of life and hospital aquired skills. I was I at work later when they rang me to let me know that I had been successful!! I must say that I am thrilled, excited, scared, sad, apprehensive, but nothing ventured nothing gained... so wish me luck!! I am leaving the departure lounge and heading on over to the arrival suite!!

2 comments:

Goosey said...

Nice to read about the interview, Tatty, have you come back down to earth now! I think you will be fantastic at the arrivals bit, you have alot of experience already.
It sounds good to hear you are planting seeds now, I have got some ruby tomatos to plant next month and in a charity shop I got a wooden thing to make pots out of newspaper a bit easier.

oldcrow61 said...

Congratulations and good luck with the new job. It must be an exciting time for you.
Wow, you're starting seeds already. I'm only just looking through the seed catalogs.