Sunday 27 July 2008

Carrots and bites

I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately, so I haven't been down to the allotment quite as much as I would like to, also as the summer holidays are here, I wont be able to spend as much of my free time there as I would like, as my son doesn't share the same enthusiasm as myself for all things growing. Anyway,got down there last night,with hubby and son, I had to pick hubby up from the pub, and while he was in a "happy" mood, a little sneaky detour on the way home, and lo and behold, we found ourselves at the allotments! Well while we're here it wouldn't hurt to do a bit of watering, I suggested!
I woke up fairly early this morning, the sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky! Right I said to a sleeping Hubby, "I'm off down the allotment for an hour," 2 hours later I returned. Always lots to do, everything is growing much too quickly. I've picked, french beans, runner beans, florence fennel, sugar snap peas, potatoes carrots, and a cabbage. The dreaded carrot fly has managed to get at the carrots again despite our attempt at growing them in a tub, raised off the ground. I can only think that as our allotment is on a slope, and I am at the bottom, this means the carrot fly still manages to get in! I could put a fine mesh cloche over the tub I suppose. Maybe thats something I could try next year. Anyway I decided to grow some at home. I have got some potato tubs left over from last year,
So I filled them almost to the top with sharp sand,
Added a few inches of compost and of course carrot seeds, I used Autumn King
And there you go! I will keep you posted.
My lovely Apple tree. I am not sure which variety this is, but it is a lovely tangy sweet apple, and is loaded this year. Some very large flowers and my first very little Butternut Squash.


The biting season has begun, let battle commence!!!

No comments: